In the Midst of Lightning
It is not every day you get to swap hymns for warm showers at the assisted living home in Eads. Over a series of phone calls, a normal Thursday developed into an all-around, meaningful exchange. As the residents enjoyed their tater tot casserole, we were able to bring back memories from days gone by. Shannon, Luke, and Kristin sang hymns as other members of our team listened to the lives of these elderly folk. Everyone on the team would agree that it was a special encounter that was blessed and orchestrated by God.
We officially touched rubber to pavement in our sixth state this Friday when we rolled into Tribune, Kansas, 58 miles from Eads. Friday was hot, all day, but the evening rolled in with storm clouds that covered the sky in a sheet of black. Lightning accompanied the blackness in a powerful display of the earth’s Created beauty. Rain and wind gently rocked our trailers, giving us plenty of opportunities to count our blessings, instead of sheep!
The final ride for the week, and last ride for Kristin, was from Tribune to Dighton. The team cut across the Kansas plains at a quick clip of 20 miles an hour, experiencing what tailwinds on flat land can do for a cyclist. Some of our riders skipped lunch to end the ride in just under 3 and a half hours. The support crew shuttled the team to Garden City from Dighton, where the cyclists will pick up again for week 7!
With many-a-casserole, Garden City Church of the Nazarene welcomed the team for the weekend. The Spirit was moving in the sanctuary as the band, Breath by Breath, played and Gene Schandorff brought the Word. On the whole, the week was full of crazy weather, blessed encounters, and memorable moments. We love sharing what God is doing on this journey, and would love to have you partner with us in some capacity! Contact us on social media or shoot us an email if you are interested in going on, giving to, or praying for this trip!
Click the link below for our Week 6 Recap Video
As told by Shawn White, one of our full-riders, and bass guitarist for the Pedal to Plant band.
Church Count: 23 and Churches Visited this Week are in Bold
- Liberty Bible of Barberton, WA
- Hilltop Church of Astoria, OR
- Tillamook Church of the Nazarene, OR
- Lincoln City Church of the Nazarene, OR
- Church on the Hill of McMinnville, OR
- Eugene Church of the Nazarene, OR
- Sisters Church of the Nazarene, OR
- Mission Church of Bend, OR
- John Day Church of the Nazarene, OR
- Baker City Church of the Nazarene, OR
- McCall Church of the Nazarene, ID
- Grangeville Church of the Nazarene, ID
- Missoula First Church of the Nazarene, MT
- Bitterroot Valley Church of the Nazarene, MT
- St. Thomas Episcopal Church, Dubois, WY
- Sunnyside Church of the Nazarene, Kinnear, WY
- Riverton Church of the Nazarene, WY
- Jeffrey City Community Church, WY
- St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, Rawlins, WY
- St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church, Granby, CO
- High Country Church of the Nazarene, Buena Vista, CO
- Lincoln Park Church of the Nazarene, CO
- Garden City Church of the Nazarene, KS
Check back soon with us to follow our pedaling journey across the country! If you’d like more instant updates on where we are, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, where we will regularly post our status and location!